Your Rights on an OJS
Track management while they track you with the OJS Checklist.
You have the right to use the bathroom when you need to, just like on any other day. Don’t let the supervisor discourage you from using the bathroom or try to limit you from going only on break time.
You have the right to get a drink if you’re thirsty. Follow UPS methods to stay hydrated.
You have the right to work safely, without distractions. If the supervisor talks to you while you’re driving you have the right to inform him that his actions are distracting and therefore unsafe to yourself and the general public. If the supervisor walks on your heels, you have the right to stop and respectfully communicate that you are working with urgency and purpose but also need space to perform your job safely.
You have the right to do bargaining unit work. If the supervisor handles packages, opens doors, or assists you in any way, then the OJS cannot be used in determining a fair day’s work. Take notes if this occurs.
You have the right to choose your meal time, as long as it is between Noon and 3 PM.
You have the right to work free of harassment. If over supervised or harassed, document it.
ON YOUR OJS, REMEMBER TO:
Do your complete pre-trip and post-trip inspections.
Completely stretch after your first delivery stop and at the end of your meal period.
Keep your same routine as normal. Work at a safe, sustainable pace. Don’t rush or take shortcuts.
Follow all UPS delivery methods, including:
- Follow the posted speed limit at all times, including on UPS property and in other parking lots.
- Wear your seatbelt and use three points of contact when entering or exiting the vehicle.
- Use proper body mechanics when lifting. Get close to the package. Bend with the knees.
- Back only when necessary. Scan and size up the area before backing. If in doubt, get out and look. Tap your horn repeatedly to signal your intentions.
- Walk on walkways and driveways in residential areas. Don’t cut across the grass.
Send messages on the DIAD as you normally would. Don’t take shortcuts from your normal routine that will artificially inflate your SPORH.
Protect yourself from management's tricks with the OJS Checklist.